Saturday, March 8, 2008

For the Love of Geese


For the last two years I've dedicated most of my time to launching a business. I wanted to start a company for two reasons: First, being 6'2, the clothing options are pretty sparse. I believed I could do better. Second, I wanted Julie and Katie to be able to fulfill their dreams.

Julie is my sister-in-law. The mother of Grace, one of my nieces whom I adore. Only, when you ask Grace her name, she says, "Geese," because at age 2, she hasn't quite mastered the letter "r." Julie had a career for many years before becoming a stay-at-home mom. I sense Julie misses her professional self but doesn't want Grace in daycare. So, she's put her career goals on hold until Grace is a little older.

Katie is one of my oldest and dearest friends. We met at basketball practice when we were 14. She's an accountant, and I love her like a sister. Katie has two sweet, sweet kiddos. Each day, she gets them dressed, fed and to daycare before 8 a.m., so she can be at her desk on time. She gives the company nine good hours, picks up the kids, feeds them, bathes them, reads to them, only to do it all over again the next day. I'm exhausted just writing about it. I truly don't know how she does it with a smile on her face. And, she always has a smile.

I love and admire Julie and Katie but I don't want to be faced with their decision: Stay home and put the career goals on hold or continue working and find the best sitter. The truth is, I'm not sure if I'll have children. But if I do, I want the best of both worlds: the ability to decide where I spend my time that day, whether it's with my children or at the office. And, since the lottery isn't working out for me, there was only one way to make it possible: become my own boss.

A lot of entrepreneurs gauge their success on achieving financial goals. We're a little different at KAT. I'll know the company has made it when Katie is working from home to balance our books, and Julie is on staff and able to bring Grace to the office when she needs to. They'll both be fulfilling their dreams as involved moms, while applying their professional experience at a company dedicated to helping women feel good about themselves.

I can't think of a better example to set for my special Geese.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, using our smarts to make a better life for family is possible when we have the opportunity to work flexibly. I admire you for fueling your passion to affect the lives of your family and friends and the next generation. I want to support that kind of woman! And that woman-run biz!!!! Little Geese is adorable and will grow up to be a smarty pants- smarty long-legged KAT pants :)

Unknown said...

Hey there,

I am a friend of your lovely model Leah, and I just wanted to say hello.

Your desings are great, and I totally agree with you...
"But if I do, I want the best of both worlds: the ability to decide where I spend my time that day..."

truly,

Sylvia C.