Sunday, June 10, 2007

Where's the LUV?

Can you save the emergency exit row seats when flying SWA?

I vote yes. Our flight attendant voted no.

Our packed flight didn't bode well for my "B" boarding pass but fortunately, my travel partner was an "A." Translation: a strong shot at getting the coveted emergency exit row seat.

I boarded the plane, took a deep breath of recycled air and smiled. There she was, a vision of loveliness, sitting in the emergency exit row with two seats saved. Cue the bright lights and harp music. My long legs would be spared the circus moves of my youth.

But, there was tension in the air.

"You can't save emergency exit row seats," said an SWA flight attendant, providing a loud verbal spanking to my friend. "That's rude."

Rude? What?! Since when?

I fly SWA enough to be a frequent flyer. And, I've been greeted by more than one 4'10 gymnast in this row saving a seat for a friend. This is America. We save seats everywhere we go. We save spots in line, too.

I get that these seats are a premium. Some airlines even charge more for you to sit there. But, if you're going to make these seats un-savable (is that a word?), you have to do it on ALL flights...not at the whim of the flight staff.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kat -

I work for Southwest. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. To be perfectly honest Southwest has no policy prohibiting Customers from "saving seats." In fact, in most instances, our Flight Attendants will attempt to accommodate specific seating requests from Customers as long as the request will not cause a delay in boarding. We certainly apologize for any rudeness you encountered from a fellow traveler and if our Flight Attendants did not work to accommodate you.

FYI - I forwarded your post to our Customer Relations dept.

Hope you'll try us again.