Sunday, November 23, 2008

From the mind of a small biz owner

As the leaders of the big three automakers descended on Washington last week to beg for government -- rather, taxpayer -- funds, one thought kept surfacing: What about me?

It's selfish. I know. But, what about me? The small business owner who doesn't have an executive dining room but reinvests nearly every dime she makes back into her business.

The auto execs flew to Washington on private jets. Is this the part where I'm supposed to feel sorry for them? Where I'm supposed to dig deep in my pockets so they don't have to fly home coach?

This is not easy stuff. I know that. Thousands of retired autoworkers who gave their lives to these companies now rely on them for pensions and health insurance. And, all of sudden, they're at-risk.

But, when does it stop? First, it was Fannie and Freddie. Now, it's cars. If I, or any other US small business goes out, will the government bust out its white cape and save us? Or, will it be up to us to navigate the downside of capitalism and entrepreneurship?

I think I know the answer. And, the auto companies should be held to the same standard.

No comments: